At Kona Medical we have developed an ultrasound-based platform which enables non-invasive imaging, targeting, tracking, and treatment of soft tissue structures throughout the body without radiation and without the cost or complexity of MR and other technologies. Our Surround Sound® system utilizes ultrasound imaging to guide the external delivery of focused ultrasound energy to specific target tissue, while automatically tracking movement and enabling continuous therapy delivery.
Our initial clinical application addresses high blood pressure (hypertension) through ablation of the renal nerves. Renal nerves are located proximal to the renal arteries, which provide blood flow to the kidneys. Renal nerves are part of the sympathetic nervous system and play a significant role in determining blood pressure. Clinical data have shown that ablation of renal nerves can result in profound and lasting reduction in hypertension in patients whose blood pressure is not adequately controlled by medication.
In contrast to catheter-based renal denervation systems, which rely on internal delivery of energy through the wall of the renal artery to ablate renal nerves, our system delivers the energy from outside the body to create an ablative field around the vessel which ablates the nerves without impacting the artery. Kona’s fully-integrated, portable, standalone system can be used in virtually any exam room in a hospital, office or clinic, and does not require a catheterization lab.
Ultrasound-based, non-invasive RDN has the potential to greatly reduce cost, lower risk, and improve access to millions of hypertension patients worldwide who are not adequately controlled by drug therapy.
Kona has a foundational intellectual property position in therapeutic ultrasound, with numerous US and International patent applications covering its platform technology.
Issued US patents to date (other patents pending):
- 8,556,834 Flow Directed Heating Of Nervous Structures
- 8,517,962 Energetic Modulation Of Nerves
- 8,512,262 Energetic Modulation Of Nerves
- 8,469,904 Energetic Modulation Of Nerves
- 8,374,674 Nerve Treatment System
- 8,372,009 System And Method For Treating A Therapeutic Site
- 8,295,912 Method And System To Inhibit A Function Of A Nerve Traveling With An Artery
- 8,277,398 Methods And Devices To Target Vascular Targets With High Intensity Focused Ultrasound
- 8,137,274 A Method of Applying Heat To A Region Proximate To A Blood Vessel
- 8,388,535 Methods And Apparatus For Focused Ultrasound Application
- 8,167,805 Systems And Methods For Ultrasound Applicator Station Keeping
Issued China patent to date (other International patents pending):
- ZL 2011 2 0473542.2 A System for Applying Focused Ultrasound Energy to a Nerve Surrounding Artery of a Patient
Note: The Kona Surround Sound® system is investigational and is not yet approved for sale.